Saturday, January 14, 2012

When in doubt, Wai

After today, I will have been in Thailand for 4 full days.  Only 4.  It feels like a lot more than that.  We have been going non-stop.  Safety and security lectures, medical interviews, shots, language classes, bike training.  It has been crazy!  Here are some of the highlights:

Language training:  I was terrified to start learning Thai.  But our language class has been one of the best parts of this week.  Our teacher was so much fun.  We learned the basics about money and introductions.  I had to introduce myself to the governor of Sing Buri in Thai.  Scaryyy.  I also was able to go to a market and ask how much something cost and I actually understood the answer. 

Bike training:  We got our bikes this week! Today we got to go on a couple rides around the town and see where some of our potential home-stays might be.  It was so much fun to see the people and houses and finally be doing something active (and not just sitting in a classroom.)  I can now officially change a flat tire too.

Cultural demonstrations:  Tomorrow we move in with our home-stay families.  We will be living with them for the next 9 weeks.  To prepare us for the move, we were taught all this crazy stuff.  I learned how to wash my laundry by hand, use a traditional squat toilet, eat a Thai meal, and prepare my mosquito net for bed.

This week has gotten off to an amazing start.  I am so happy to be here with 51 other amazing people.  I am scared/excited/nervous/happy for the move tomorrow.  Wish me luck!


Breakfast!

Thai beer

 so official - meeting the govenor

friends (after a long day of biking)

1 comment:

  1. This is great, Rebecca! Thank you for posting these blog entries!! Can't wait to hear about your host family.
    What is that first picture that looks kind of like a piece of watermelon covered with black stuff?

    ReplyDelete