Wednesday, February 1, 2012

I'm turning Thai

My life here in Thailand is pretty different from my life back in America.  I thought I would share and highlight some of the differences….

I change clothes at least 4 times a day.  I am lucky enough to live really close to my language class.  It is just a couple houses away from my home so I usually get dressed riap roy (long skirt and collared shirt) and walk my bike over.  After language class, I change into my biking clothes and bike to my technical class.  When I get there, I change into my riap roy clothes.  After class, I change back into my biking clothes to go home where I change into my hang out around the house clothes. 

I shower at least twice a day, every day.  My mom makes me.  I shower before bed.  Sleep.  Wake up and shower again.  One time my mom made me shower before and after dinner.  This is the cleanest I have ever been in my life.

People really want to take me to the hospital.  I sneeze.  “Do you need to go to the hospital?”  I cough.  “Do you need to go to the hospital?”  One day family and neighbors told me that I just didn’t look good and that was reason enough to try to take me.

Most of the time I have no idea what people are talking about.  My family speaks only Thai.  When I look confused they speak louder.  I just smile, nod, and say “OK.”  I never really know what I am agreeing to.

I smile.  A lot.  I had a review with one of my teachers a couple weeks ago.  She said I was doing great in language class and on track.  Only problem was, I do not smile enough.  I have made it my personal mission to smile all the time.  It doesn’t matter where I am, what I’m talking about…every 20 seconds or so I flash a big smile.

I eat way more than I should.  My diet is 100% carbs and I hate it.  My family feeds me so much and I’m trying my hardest to be culturally sensitive and eat it all.  I found out today (with the help of a translator) that my Thai grandma is worried about me because I am not eating enough.  I guess I need to step it up.

My favorite thing is that my family here knows that I love puppies.  And they think I am weird because of it.  But they are always having friends stop by with their animals for me to play with.



With all of these adjustments, I can already tell that I am turning part-Thai.  I used to hate spicy food, but now I add spices to my meal at lunch and dinner.  I am barefoot all of the time – even when I don’t have to be.  When it cools down at night (maybe the high 70s) I wake up freezing, turn off my fan, and put on an extra blanket. 

No comments:

Post a Comment